Monday, December 14, 2009

Post Numero UNO - THE INTRO

After much pressure from numerous people I've decided to begin a ME in BA (Buenos Aires) blog... I don't think the world is ready for such an exciting, fulfilling, mind-blowing blog but HERE IT IS!!!!!! (Um, yeah SARCASM much)

After some serious thinking/debate, I quit my job mid Nov (last day was Nov 13th to be exact... oh sorry FRIDAY the 13th) and decided to embark on a mini journey to Buenos Aires, Argentina. WHY!??!?! You may ask... I honestly can't really tell you what drew me to BA but somehow,someway I made it to this lovely city & where it'll take me is yet to be known/seen.

So WEEK numero #1 is over... I have pretty much gotten through day 10 and I must say so far so good! Since I've waited so long to start the post I'll give a recap and then post pics separately.

No one here speaks English unless it's a tourist area so thankfully I know some Spanish or I think I'd be verrrrrry frustrated. No one at the supermarket, pharmacies, restaurants, stores etc speak a word of English! I live in El Centro (the Wall St of BA) on a street called Lavalle. For all you Spanish speakers don't get it twisted... here it is known as LAVASHE.... they pronounce their "LL" as "SH" and its very strange to me! My apartment is nice and clean and although I have to buy things like toilet paper, it did come equipped with a lot (iron, utensils etc). The "doorman" or rather "receptionist" people are really nice and for the most part force me to speak Spanish since they speak very little English. I started classes Monday 12/7 and the first week was very intense with 5 hrs/day. Waking up at 7:45a is awful.. I'm used to getting to the office at 10:30a!! Tuesday the 8th was an Argentine National Holiday which is why we had the extra hours. Typically the days are 9a-1p w/ a 20 min break. We've been studying none stop grammar and we even get homework. I have a workbook that brings me back to middle school LOL.
First week we had 6 of us in the class.. 2 German women, 1 Finnish girl (yes, from Finland!), 1 British guy & a lady from Portland. This week one of the German ladies left and we have 2 new people, 1 guy from SF & 1 from Lubbock, TX.
The teachers rotate and have all been pretty strong.

The weather has been amazing... between 70-80 degrees, with the exception of the day I arrived. SORRY Winterdwellers... its SUMMER here B*Tches!!! hahaha. I've been doing some tourist stuff but have been taking it slowly. The different barrios (neighborhoods) are so different from one another. I really like Puerto Madero, Palermo & La Boca... You'll get some more of an idea of what these names even mean when I post pics.
I've met some friend's of friends (thanks Motti, Jen & Martina) who have all been really cool. They all speak English so I've been slacking on my SPANISH IMMERSION but I promised myself I would start JUST using Spanish.

OHHH Tuesday I went to a great Tango Show at The FAENA hotel (you'll see the pics of the pool there that is really nice) that was really great and on Thursday I went to a Milonga (Tango club) that literally dragged me back a few decades (or even centuries)... I think I'm going to take a tango class... its a serious subculture here! The average person my age doesn't dance Tango so don't think its the "salsa" of Argentina!

More to come amigos!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment